Monday, February 13, 2006
What is done cannot be undone
Well, what is done CAN be undone but in involves humiliation and slinking back.To the point: I received a Bonded place for Newcastle (and also one for Western Australia, but turned it down). I'm going. I'm moving on Wednesday and uni starts in one week. New city, new course, new life.
Crazy or what?
In the end the decision was really between Med and Psych. Med won, partly because of the immense family pressure, but also because of the job security and all that. Psych also requires a shitload of study for a less secure future. Listen to me, I sound like I'm already a middle-aged conservative.
But really, it was "med unless proven otherwise"...presumption of med unless I had a pretty damn good alternative. It really should be the other way round- only do Med if it is the only thing you can bear doing.
Anyhow I read through the entire AMSA "The Other Side" publication with perspectives from doctors in all sorts of fields, as well as the AAMC's page on specialties and found at least a handful of career paths that sound interesting. Neuro, peds, psychiatry...even wacko stuff like palliative and rural-GPing. Surely there's some niche for me in med.
And this is a bit daft and naive, but even before now, in Year 11-12, I harboured a little secret desire to go join MSF. It can replace the exchange I'm missing out on. Oh yeah, forgot to say, I got into Sciences Po. That's going to be one of those roads not taken, like my ANU scholarship, and Psych. I don't regret it that much though, since much of the things I wanted to get from it - namely a taste of independence - I can do in Newc anyway. Plus Bec is going to Provence, so it'd just be me and Maria.
I think I'm going to start a new blog for this new life. This one will be reserved for my angsty rants, whereas the new one will be for my family and friends. That's the idea anyway, we'll see what happens. I'll post the address when it's set up.
See you on the other side!
# posted at 3:35 pm
Comments:
Post a Comment