Thursday, July 07, 2005

Choose my subjects 

French: one of
a) French Narrative Cinema. Actually sounds interesting, those two lecturers are semi-decent (Corinne rocks, but she might've left already). Also, currently know zilch about film and would like to know more. But then again, might hate it. Also, usually film courses have longer hours. Boo.
b) French Popular Culture. Sounds bludgy and sorta fuzzy. But my friends are doing it, which makes a difference because was completely miserable without any buddies in Enlightenment last semester. (though just got results back...D!! YAY! last-minute bluffing works!)
c) French Romanticism. Not really intending to do honours and almost died in Enlightenment (though bet I could do a thesis on like Viet-French lit and they'd fall in love with me out of post-colonial guilt, hehe). But might be interesting...haven't read those authors before
d) The Second French Revolution. Post-WWII social changes. Sounds ill-defined. I don't really like this lecturer either. Nice, but not very inspiring - actually that describes pretty much the entire French faculty. Or indeed, Arts faculty.
e) Deconstructing French Texts. Can't go through an Arts degree without some deconstruction, right?

Government: one of
a) Classical Political Theory. This is so me. Will probably take this one- I like political theory, nor political fact. Bonus: don't have to keep up with the news! Sounds reading-heavy, but includes stuff that is on my Canon reading list anyway- Thucydides, Plato, Aristotle. And whoever wrote this must be an interesting lecturer, right: "Socrates, an unemployed vagrant who never took a bath, never wrote a word, and yet influenced kings, princes, and generals in his own day and since;"
b) Human Rights and Australian Politics. I feel morally obliged to do this one, and it'll give me a head start in International Law (though prolly will forget the day after the exam). Sounds fuzzy though.
c) International Security in 21st Century. A touch more useful than classical political theory, and sounds like a good mix of theory and sorta practical application.
d) Europe in World Affairs. Good with French and good prep in case I do want to go to Sciences Po, but sounds a bit economics-oriented. Plus, do not want to read any bloody EU regulations, thankyouverymuch.

Law
a) Criminal Law. Compulsory. I'm actually looking forwards to it but am afraid it will be boringer than expected.

That's my full load already, but might overload again and continue with Spanish, or maybe take up Psyc1002 if I'm allowed. I'm thinking of doing the Grad Diploma in Psych after I finish Arts; you need to do Psyc1001 and Psyc1002 before starting, and only one can be done in Summer School. Pst, don't tell my mother about this- it involves *gasp* dropping law. Anywho, end of 3rd year is a while away yet.

# posted at 12:31 am

Comments: Post a Comment