Friday, October 01, 2004

Yet another med blog 

intueri: to contemplate. Go read. Well written and interesting even on 1/32 hours sleep.

What is with that, anyway? I mean you're not meant to DRIVE for more than 2 hours without a break. "Fatigue kills" on the roads. And yet people who have others' lives in their hands are meant to be rational/empathetic after a whole day (or more) without sleep? After30 hours of no sleep I wouldn't trust myself to make a cup of tea, let alone stick pointy things into other people's orifices. Crazy. And dangerous.

On a partially related tangent, I've been meaning to blog about Law<->Med curriculum-bred antagonism. It seems as if they start the indoctrination early. My med friends have been telling me how, basically, they're taught that the law hates them and they're fucked if they make the slightest mistake. We, on the other hand, have been taught about the absolute sanctity of the body and how doctors love playing god. I actually sympathise with the docs. Most of the time they're good people who've made a mistake while trying to do their best for others. It seems a bit hypocritical that doctors get sued up and down Broadway, sometimes for SAVING someone's life (Malette v Shulman), while judges and barristers are pretty much untouchable (Giannelli v Wraith). Then again, a barrister's mistake doesn't usually end up killing anyone. Then again again, it might result in someone being stuck in jail for life, which isn't much better. I get all the integrity-of-justice, discharge-of-duty -to-court, never-ending-litigation arguments, but can't help thinking it's a bit old-boys-looking-out-for-each-other (hyphens rock. brackets too).

Actually- hold that thought. Apparently barristerial immunity is now underconsideration in the High Court in D'Orta-Ekenaike v Victoria Legal Aid.

On a tangent to this tangent, Justice Kirby rocks. Such a hippy.

Oh boy, time to put an end to this cutting-edge legal commentary and lay me down to sleep.

# posted at 1:22 am

Comments: Post a Comment