Friday, July 02, 2004
The Froggy has landed
My exchange student has arrived. Expect slow and sporadic posting over the next two months. A great loss to the blogosphere, I'm sure.My household is currently operating trilingually: Viet, English and French. My mum's partner and I have got the trifecta, mum speaks Eng&Viet, French girl speaks Eng&French. Now add the fact that all we Viet speakers regularly code-switch sometimes without realising it, and that French girl's English is kind of rocky (though she's already improved in the 4 days she's been here, quite a feat). Also add a healthy dose of exam insomnia & cabin syndrome-ness...miscommunication stew. Exchanges such as the following are common:
Italicized = Viet
Mum: Pssss...ask her whether she wants icecream.
Partner: No you ask! I asked last time!
Mum: No you!
Moi: Ferchrissakes ask her yourself mum!
Mum: *slowly and loudly* FRENCH. GIRL. WOULD. YOU. LIKE. AN. ICECREAM?
FG:...
Mum: YOU. EAT. ICECREAM. YES?
FG:...euh...my sister is ten years old.
*collective blinking*
# posted at 10:56 pm
Comments:
Post a Comment